Monday, November 16, 2009

Antigone and Her Sentence

Why does the sentry bring Antigone to Creon despite knowing she will be executed? Is the death penalty a fitting punishment for Antigone's crime? Explain. How does she defend herself?

Antigone is brought to Creon because the sentry wants Creon to know who did this and for Creon to be relieved that the search was over. I do not think the death penalty is fitting for the crime because she was just trying to respect her brother by burring him. She really was not breaking any rules because it is the rule of the gods to bury the deceased, but Creon just made up new ones that were the opposite. Antigone defends herself by saying what she did was the right thing to do and she does not really care that she is going to die, just as long as her brother was buried properly.

7 comments:

  1. Great post! I totally agree with you, the punishment seems harsh for her act of helping her brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina I totally agree with you. Seriously, she was just trying to bury her brother with respect and is it the word of the gods to bury the deceased. Let's face it, she did not break any rules (according to the rules of the gods); however, she did break the rule according to her uncle. I really like your post Gina! Awesome job!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina,
    I completely agree. I believe that death is way too harsh for doing what her culture knows is right: giving someone a proper burial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree the punishment she got was harsh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Gina when she says, "She really was not breaking any rules because it is the rule of the gods to bury the deceased, but Creon just made up new ones that were the opposite." Creon thinks he is cool enough to make up rules that the gods did not, but we can see how unprepared he is when he finds out Antigone was the one who buried her brother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Btw, where did you get the fishes, they are adorable?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Gina. She was not breaking any rules because all she wanted was to help her brother. There should be no rules against that.

    ReplyDelete